Monday, June 25, 2012

Installation Complete. Please Restart Your PC.

In my experience, the hardest part about creating a video game is finalizing it. If you don't have a clear vision of the final product, then your project is doomed to stay unfinished. This is why I've chosen a pre-existing game to copy, Super Mario Bros for the NES. My goal here is not to make money nor distribute my code so I don't have to worry about copyright infringement. I chose Mario as a base because the rules of the game are already well defined; I know exactly how the game should look and feel once I'm finished. As an added bonus, I don't have to worry about creating art assets which will free up my time for more coding goodness.

My goals by the end of this project are to:

  1. Create a level editing tool which will allow me to easily create levels.
  2. Use the tool to recreate the first level of Super Mario Bros.
  3. Build a library of functions for use in future games.
Having a set list of goals is also a good way to keep motivated.

Today I installed Visual C# 2010 Express along with the XNA 4.0 framework on my PC. I grabbed a sprite-sheet from Google and cut out a Mario sprite. I created a Mario class, added keyboard controls, added in a coefficient for velocity and friction, and finally flipped the sprite to look the proper direction when moving. So far so good!


Oh look he's moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment